Lienzo de Tlaxcala
‘Lienzo’ means ‘canvas’ or ‘piece of cloth’ in Spanish
The original Lienzo de Tlaxcala was a painted cotton sheet approximately 2 meters wide and 5 meters long. It was probably created around 1552. A large scene at the top depicted the political structure of the Central’¦Learn More >
‘Codex’ comes from the Latin ‘caudex’ (‘book,’ ‘tree trunk,’ ‘idiot’).
The Codex Nuttall is 11.22 meters in length, and is folded into 47 “pages” measuring approximately 24.3 by 18.4 cm. It was probably created around 1500. The codex is painted on both sides. These two different’¦Learn More >
MatrÃcula de Tributos
‘Matrícula’ means ‘register’ or ‘enrollment’ in Spanish.
The Matrícula de Tributos (‘Register of Tribute’) consists of 16 sheets (‘folios’) of paper made from the bark of the amate tree. Although some of the early folios are heavily damaged, whole sheets measure’¦Learn More >
The Molina Vocabulario
The Molina Vocabulario was the first dictionary printed in the Americas.
Fray Alonso de Molina’s Vocabulario en la lengua Castellana y Mexicana was published in 1555 at the Mexico City printing house of Juan Pablos. It consists of a title page (with a woodcut showing Saint Francis’¦Learn More >
The Codex Selden records over 500 years of Native American history.
The Codex Selden is approximately 5.5 meters in length, and is folded into twenty ‘pages’ approximately 27.5 by 27.5 cm. It was probably created around 1560. As it is currently preserved, only one side of the codex’¦Learn More >
Mesolore is a bilingual resource for scholars and students of Mesoamerica.
Mesolore on Facebook
Mesoamerica in the News
- October 26, 2016 - 'Machismo Is Very Strong Here' - Q Costa Rica News
- October 26, 2016 - Mexico's streets filled with skeletons for Catrina parade - Independent Online
- October 26, 2016 - How Carlos Alberto scored 'the best goal ever in a World Cup' - Hindustan Times
- October 26, 2016 - CULTURE KLASH: Bewitching Affairs - Planet Jackson Hole
- October 26, 2016 - Rick Bayless' Frontera Concina presents safe, well-executed Mexican dishes for junketeers and vacationers - Orlando Weekly
- October 25, 2016 - Beneath the tradition and the culture - The Roundup News
- October 25, 2016 - Guerrilla Girls Not Ready To Make Nice - E-Flux
- October 25, 2016 - Producing Sustainable Palm Oil In Latin America â€“ Analysis - Eurasia Review
- October 25, 2016 - Las llamadas de los normalistas de Ayotzinapa a la CDMX - La Silla Rota
- October 25, 2016 - Mexican company connects telecommunications to indigenous communities - CCTV-America
- October 25, 2016 - Cultural exchanges strengthen China-Mexico ties - China.org.cn - China.org.cn
- October 25, 2016 - Construye gobierno del estado drenaje pluvial en atempan - Monitor Tlaxcala (Comunicado de prensa) (blog)
- October 25, 2016 - Stimulate your senses with the ultimate â€œDesireâ€ at Riviera Maya ... - The Yucatan Times
- October 25, 2016 - Espectaculares de Moreno Valle llegan a Nuevo LeÃ³n - Contraste Tlaxcala (Comunicado de prensa)
- October 25, 2016 - Festive remembrance: Day of the Dead blends family and culture - Stockton Record